If you have ever had the opportunity to watch James Lipton interview famous actors on his show Inside The Actors Studio, you will no doubt recall the stack of recipe cards with his well known list of questions. What you may not be aware of is that these questions originated from a French series called Bouillon de Culture which was hosted by Bernard Pivot.
Thinking back to a number of these episodes, it is striking how well we get to know the guest being interviewed by the time the final question is asked. And this is the point of the exercise for the viewing public but it is no different for us as Realtors. Especially if you want to have a loyal, fruitful (i.e. profitable) and rewarding long-term relationship with your client. I have referred to F.O.R.D. (Family, Occupation, Recreation, Dreams) questions in the past which is the same strategy. I thought it would be an interesting exercise for you to go through the ten Pivot/Lipton questions, answer them yourself, but think about them next time you engage with a client and see how many you can get answers to. Here they are:
- What is your favorite word?
- What is your least favorite word?
- What is your favorite drug?
- What sound or noise do you love?
- What sound or noise do you hate?
- What is your favorite curse word?
- Who would you like to see on a new banknote?
- What profession other than your own would you not like to attempt?
- If you were reincarnated as some other plant or animal, what would it be?
- If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates?
Think about some of these questions along with the F.O.R.D. ones and remember to take notes. You will end up with a much better understanding of your clients.