…..do we do?
Last week we tackled the “Why do we exist?” question. A significant issue for most leaders, including Realtors. This week we are reviewing the “What do we do?” question which for most Realtors (and other professionals) might seem straight forward enough but when asked, the answer is often less than inspiring and not always convincing.
According to Patrick Lencioni in The Advantage, this is an “organization’s business definition.” He also suggests that this should be short, i.e., one sentence, and be crystal clear to the entire team.
What I’ve found helpful for most people who might struggle to really get across to customers what they are really offering is to go through an exercise developed by Michael Porter in his book, “Book Yourself Solid” how to build your own elevator speech. On page 51 of his book he reviews the following five questions to assist the reader in arriving at a summary of “what” they are really offering:
- Summarize your target market.
- Identify and summarize the three biggest and most critical problems that your target market faces.
- List how you solve these problems and present clients with unique solutions.
- Include the most dramatic results that you or your clients have obtained.
- List the results and deepest benefits your clients receive.
Once you have completed the exercise above, the next task is to write a short paragraph (it may be two to start) which encapsulates the most important points from each question. I found that it took some effort and a lot of crumpled paper but in the end the result is a much clearer and more inspiring dialogue.